As a runner, dealing with Achilles tendonitis can be frustrating and painful. But the right pair of shoes can make a world of difference. That’s why we’ve compiled this comprehensive guide to help you find the best running shoes for Achilles tendonitis.
We’ll cover the features you should look for, highlight some of the top models available, and even throw in some humor along the way.
What to look for in the best running shoes for achilles tendonitis?
When shopping for running shoes, there are certain features you’ll want to keep in mind. There are features that can help alleviate the pain associated with Achilles tendonitis and prevent further injury.
The best running shoes for Achilles tendonitis should have these features:
- Cushioning: Look for shoes with ample cushioning to absorb the impact of each step and reduce pressure on the Achilles tendon.
- Support: Shoes with good arch support and stability can help reduce the tension on the Achilles tendon.
- Heel-to-Toe Drop: Shoes with a higher heel-to-toe drop can be helpful in reducing the stress placed on the Achilles tendon.
- Flexibility: Shoes that offer good flexibility can help reduce the pressure on the Achilles tendon and prevent further injury.
- Comfort: You want shoes that are comfortable and fit well. Anything that causes discomfort or irritation can aggravate your Achilles tendonitis.
6 best running shoes for Achilles tendonitis
Now that you know what to look for in the best running shoes for Achilles tendonitis, let’s take a closer look at some of the top models available.
|Shoe model||Heel drop||Cushioning||Support||Best features|
|Mizuno Wave Inspire 17||12mm||Comfortable||Good||Versatile for both short and long-distance runs|
|Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 38||12mm||Responsive||Moderate||Women’s version has extra cushioning and support|
|ASICS Gel-Nimbus 22||13mm||Plush||Excellent||Women’s version has a snug and comfortable fit|
|Brooks Ghost 13||12mm||Soft||Ample||Smooth and reliable|
|New Balance Fresh Foam 1080||8mm||Plush||Superior||Deep heel cup and rocker sole help alleviate pressure|
|Saucony Peregrine 11||4mm||Responsive||Excellent||Great traction on uneven terrain|
The Mizuno Wave Inspire 17 is our pick for the best running shoes for Achilles tendonitis. Its comfortable cushioning absorbs shock and its adequate heel drop ensures your foot makes soft landings. This shoe is versatile, making it suitable for both short and long-distance runs.
- Our pick for the best running shoes for Achilles tendonitis
- Comfortable cushioning absorbs shock
- Adequate heel drop ensures soft landings
- Versatile for both short and long-distance runs
The Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 38 is a versatile running shoe that’s perfect for neutral runners looking for an all-around shoe. Its 12mm heel drop makes it an excellent option for those with Achilles pain. The women’s version is especially well-regarded, with extra cushioning and support.
- Suitable for all-around use
- 12mm heel drop is perfect for those with Achilles pain
- Women’s version has extra cushioning and support
The ASICS Gel-Nimbus 22 is a high-quality and durable shoe that provides excellent support and cushioning. It’s an ideal option for those dealing with Achilles tendonitis. The women’s version is also highly recommended for its snug and comfortable fit.
- High-quality and durable
- Plush cushioning provides excellent support
- Women’s version has a snug and comfortable fit
The Brooks Ghost 13 is a smooth and reliable running shoe that’s ideal for runners dealing with Achilles tendonitis. Its soft cushioning and ample support make it a great choice for anyone looking for a comfortable, supportive running shoe.
- Soft cushioning and ample support
- Ideal for runners dealing with Achilles tendonitis
- Smooth and reliable
The New Balance Fresh Foam 1080 V11 is an excellent shoe for runners dealing with Achilles tendonitis. Its cushioning provides superior comfort and support, while the deep heel cup and rocker sole help to alleviate pressure on the Achilles tendon.
- Superior comfort and support
- Deep heel cup and rocker sole help alleviate pressure on the Achilles tendon
- Plush cushioning
- 8mm heel drop
The Saucony Peregrine 11 is a great choice for runners dealing with Achilles tendonitis who enjoy trail running. Its cushioning and responsive support provide excellent comfort, while the durable sole provides great traction on uneven terrain.
- Responsive support provides excellent comfort
- Durable sole provides great traction on uneven terrain
- 4mm heel drop
- Ideal for trail running
How can running shoes help with Achilles tendonitis?
These best running shoes for Achilles tendonitis can help by providing extra support and cushioning to the affected area, reducing the impact on the Achilles tendon and relieving pain.
Can I continue to run with Achilles tendonitis?
It’s best to rest and allow the Achilles tendon to heal before resuming running. However, you can continue to stay active by doing low-impact exercises like swimming or cycling.
Should I see a doctor if I have Achilles tendonitis?
Yes, it’s important to see a doctor or a physical therapist if you suspect you have Achilles tendonitis. They can provide a proper diagnosis and recommend a treatment plan, which may include rest, stretching, physical therapy, and other interventions.
Dealing with Achilles tendonitis can be a challenge, but finding the right pair of running shoes can help alleviate the pain and prevent further injury. Remember to look for shoes with good cushioning, support, flexibility, and comfort. And don’t be afraid to try out a few different models to find the best running shoes for Achilles tendonitis for you. Happy running!